Concrete is a highly penetrable material, having small spaces and holes where any liquid could pass through. This is why it stains easily. Say, some paint has spilled on a concrete surface. Bits of it are trapped in between the pore spaces, making it difficult to reach no matter how hard you scrub on the surface. Another occurrence that could happen is discoloration. This is very common and can be caused by a lot of things, such as:
- Inconsistent concrete materials
- Adjusting concrete mix consistency by adding water
- Adding calcium chloride to speed up setting time
- Improper installation
Although staining and discoloration are just superficial, it could affect the overall look and value of the concrete space and the entire property. One highly recommended solution is concrete refinishing. It can effectively cover up cosmetic issues with excellent results.
Is Concrete Refinishing Same as Resurfacing?
More often than not, people refer to refinishing and resurfacing as one and the same process. Although they both repair, restore, and update concrete, they are slightly different. Resurfacing is the replacement of the top layer with an overlay or coating. This is often done on concrete slabs that have surface damage like cracks, holes, spalling, and the like. Refinishing, on the other hand, is the process of adding a finish or replacing the old one. This is an apt solution for stubborn stains and discolored concrete.
Top Concrete Refinishing Systems
It is highly recommended to have an expert look at the concrete slab first before concluding that it is, indeed, an issue that a refinishing can resolve. If you are sure now, here are the top outdoor and indoor concrete floor finishes that you can choose from:
- Stained Concrete – One of the best ways to cover up stubborn stains and discoloration is to color the concrete slab. Concrete staining is the most popular method because it penetrates past the surface and yields vibrant and long-lasting colors.
- Polished Concrete – In the past, polishing concrete meant applying wax and buffing the surface to exhaustion. Now, it involves the grinding or sanding of the concrete until it acquires the shine and smoothness that you want. It stays shiny even without wax and buffing.
- Concrete Resealing – This is the process of sealing a concrete surface or resealing it when the old one has faded. A layer of sealer, like concrete overlay sealing, is necessary to make the surface non-porous. And when it is not porous, there are less chances for damage to occur.
The Cost of Concrete Refinishing
There are several influential factors that could determine the overall cost of refinishing a concrete surface. The larger the job, the more cost it will incur, of course. However, there are certain cases where small, hard-to-reach areas would cost more. Why? Because it would require smaller equipment and only a few people could work within the limited space at a time. Other factors include the type of refinishing method you choose and any additional services you may add to the basic package.
Tired of Ugly, Stained, and Discolored Floors? Call (513) 429-7696 for a Free Concrete Refinishing Consultation.
It is natural for most people to be stimulated visually so if you feel upset about ugly floors, don’t worry, it is normal. What’s not normal is that you let it be when there are economical solutions available in Cincinnati, OH. If you are ready to take over and get rid of the stain, Cincinnati Concrete Artisans is here to help. We are a leading decorative concrete refinishing company that also provides resurfacing, and repairing concrete services for both residential and commercial properties. Our team of experts can guarantee that anything that makes your concrete floors ugly will be gone and gone for good.
Have garage flooring ideas or patio designs in mind? We are just a call and an email away. We would love to hear about it and provide you with a free in-home consultation and price quote.