There is no denying that concrete is one of the most durable materials around. But this does not mean that it is impervious to damage caused by age, weather, foot or vehicular traffic, UV rays, and other harmful elements. Gone are the days when the only option to resolve damaged concrete is to replace it completely. Nowadays, there are simpler, less time-consuming, and more economical pool deck, driveway, garage, and patio repair and refinishing solutions available. Decorative concrete is one of the best out there. Not only does it repair any damage, it also enhances the look and improves the function of any concrete flooring, be it indoors or out.
When to Repair and Replace Concrete
Concrete repair is highly efficient but not concrete damage can be repaired. There are certain conditions or circumstances that would make a replacement a more appropriate solution.
- Deeper, Larger, and Recurring Cracks – There are certain cracks that are too large and too deep to repair. Such cracks often show that the slab is too old or too weak to last long even after a repair. Recurring cracks can usually be disguised with a custom scoreline but there are those that happen too often and with worse results. A Cincinnati concrete repair contractor should be able to determine if a crack could still be repaired or not.
- Deep and Extensive Freeze-Thaw Damage – This is common on unsealed concrete spaces. Any form of water would seep into the slab, expand and compress repeatedly due to changes in temperature or weather, causing the concrete around it to break down and become brittle. If spalling is only occurring on the top layer, it could be resurfaced and sealed. But if it is much deeper, a replacement might be a more appropriate solution.
- Structural Damage – This damage involves anything that is within the main component of a concrete slab, such as the steel bars holding all the concrete together. If the steel itself is damaged, it would lose its structural integrity. One symptoms of this type of damage is when you find rust flowing out from cracks or holes.
Decorative Concrete Repair Options
- Resurfacing – This is the process of replacing the top layer of a concrete slab with an overlay or coating. Concrete resurfacing is highly recommended for covering up repairable cracks, holes, spalling, and other surface damage. Popular concrete applications include stamped concrete, knockdown texture, epoxy, and polyurea polyaspartic.
- Refinishing – Refinishing is highly efficient in restoring or enhancing the physical attribute of a concrete slab. Concrete staining can cover up stubborn stains and discolored concrete. Polishing can make raw concrete look shinier and more presentable.
- Resealing – Sealing the concrete is a crucial step in any concrete work because it keeps the usually porous material from absorbing dirt, spills, and other elements. Making it non-porous makes it more durable and easier to clean.
Damaged Concrete? Let Us Help You. Call (513) 429-7696 for Quality Concrete Repair.
Don’t let cracks or stains on the concrete bring you down. Although they may seem hopeless, there are concrete driveway repair options that can remedy that and even improve form and function better than ever before. Cincinnati Concrete Artisans is here to make that happen. Our team of highly trained professionals specializes in dealing with all types of concrete repair for pool decks, driveways, patios, interior floors, garage floors, and basement, and more.
For more details, call us for a concrete repair consultation. We can help identify issues and the common cause. We also offer free quotes.